Thursday, August 6, 2009

Tomato Pie---- Gift from the Gods of Summer and all that is Good













Today is a Tomato Pie kind of a day. I am not saying that because of anything to do with the weather or my mood or the fact that I NEED another cup of coffee, but because I have SO MANY gorgeous tomatos that I have to do something with them and what better way to showcase Summer's Ultimate Gift than a Sweet and Savory bit of perfection. If you have never had tomato pie you are in for a treat.
You can mix the combination up however you like----use heirloom or a meaty beefsteak. Use your favorite cheeses: fresh mozzarella, sharp cheddar, blue cheese, swiss--- this thing is not set in stone so Make it how you like it. All that cheese is saturated with creamy mayo and tops the tomato, onion and basil mixture. Filling consists of tomato, diced green onion and fresh basil. Pretty easy right? Make haste and get it in the oven, trust me you don't want to wait anymore than you have to, and you are on your way to a little bite of summer heaven...(or if you are like me a very big ginormous bite). Get it while you can because we all know the crap fake tomato they try to pawn on the consumer when once summer is just a dim beacon in our memory....think about it----it really is almost criminal. So. Please. Get. This. In. The. Oven. Now.
I really have to apologize for the photos. We were ravenous when this came out of the oven, and I did not get a photograph of it in all its' glory. Like Pretty much anything homemade (fried chicken,meatloaf, macaroni and cheese, I really could go on and on but I won't), this is perfection served warm or savored the next day cold out of the fridge---that is if there is any left.

2 comments:

  1. umm, tomato pie sounds like a dream come true. maybe it'll help steer me away from rhubarb pie for dinner and back into normal food territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy---- You can just have pie and then more pie! Sweet and Savory. You just can't beat that. (I'm sure Marie Antoinette actually said let them eat pie!)

    ReplyDelete