Friday, January 15, 2010

SKATING THROUGH JANUARY

It seems like January is just flying by. I am going to try and slow it down, even though I do not care for cold and winter at all. But there are some things that I do like that come with winter...it is the perfect time for getting cozy at home, wrapped up in a wooly blanket sipping hot chocolate or my ever present cup of coffee. Reading a good book or watching a favorite movie, cooking comfort food or playing a board game. I also think ice skating would be fun...I have been one time at an indoor ice rink...but I am thinking of a wintery day outdoors on a pond or lake such as what is next door to me. The lake next door is covered with snow and I think a very thin layer of ice. I have never ever witnessed anyone ice skating on it. However, I do know that it used to host a bevy of skaters at one time. My dad, when a young man, used to skate on that very lake every winter. I don't think it gets cold enough anymore, so no gliding on the ice for me in a cute little wool coat, scarf and mittens and a twirly little skating skirt ala' Sonja Henie. Even though I won't be skating over the ice I have found other uses for Ice Skates. I have added some vintage pairs around the house for a touch of winter wonderland fun, along with a vintage sled, wool scarf with my signature scottie dog :) and vintage thermoses, all of which I have picked up for next-to-nothing at flea markets and secondhand shops. Is it cold enough where you live to go ice skating? if not what do you do to pass the winter hours?

No comments:

Post a Comment